Saturday, April 26, 2003

So I went and hung out today with the folk that were involved in the Microsoft Theatre Troup's spring production of Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" with me last year. We watched a DVD of the last show we put on.

It felt like a mistake. Most of these aren't people I was ever particularly close to. I dated one of them at one point, and ended up deciding I didn't really like him at all as a person. He was there, as was another girl from the cast that he started dating way back when and is apparently still with, in some capacity. Almost none of the people from the cast that I really liked showed up. I shared some good conversation with two people there, but for the most part I felt like an outsider. It wasn't even the sort of outside where you wish you were "in", but more the sort where you're happy enough not to be in the inner circle and would be just as happy off spending your time in some other manner with other company.

I'm not good at letting go of things and moving on, but I guess some things are better left behind. Bleh.

One guy there who I did connect with is really immersed in work these days. He's not really happy, and doesn't have time or energy to cultivate any sort of life outside of work. It reminded me of how I felt, about a year ago, and made me feel lucky that I got out of that environment. I'm a much happier person these days, I think. He's a cool guy; I hope he manages to get out of the rut he's in. His wife is apparently pretty unhappy, too; I wish the best to both of them.

No comments: