Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Only the Good Die Young was playing on the radio on the way home tonight.

I remember the first time I really listened to the lyrics of that song, back in early high school -- I was scandalized. For any of you who aren't familiar with the song, it's a series of lines directed at a young Catholic girl attempting to convince her to give up her virginity, to the point of insinuating that she'll die young if she is too much of a prude. "Woah woah woah, come out, come on, Virginia don't let me wait -- you Catholic girls start much too late. But sooner or later it comes down to fate; I might as well be the one. You know that only the good die young." I couldn't believe that something so nefarious would run main-stream, and worse, that my beloved Billy Joel might be responsible.

My, how times change. The song seems almost tame to me now.

No comments: