Thursday, November 27, 2003

A rundown of my Thanksgiving so far:
  • 3:45 AM: I wake up, unable to sleep any longer.

  • 3:50 AM - 6:50 AM: I watch "My So Called Life" episodes on DVD, cuddled up with dog.

  • 6:50 AM: Current epsiode of series is about Christmas, family, lost children, homes. As the episode winds to a close, I feel strangely nostalgic. I call my parents. (It's 7:00 AM here, but it's 9:00 AM there and I expect they will be awake. They aren't out of bed yet, but they have been awake for a while.)

    "What are you doing up?" asks my mother. The conversation starts out a little rocky, but as we get into talk more it turns out to be a really good call. I talk to my mother, my father. Eventually my youngest sister wakes up and I talk to her, as well. I have one of the best chats with my father that I've had in years. It's nice.

  • 7:45 AM: I stick Miles' borrowed WinXP CD into the drive and start running the Windows Recovery Console. Eventually I get to a prompt where I start a CHKDSK /r up. It seems as if it will run forever.

  • 8:00 AM: I have a lovely Thanksgiving breakfast of cheese and wine. Thank you, Alex Phelps, for the lovely New Zealand wine. Thank you, Mike Bell, for the cheese.

    CHKDSK is still running.

  • 8:30 AM: CHKDSK is still running.

  • 8:47 AM: CHKDSK tells me that I have "one or more unrecoverable errors". Great. I boot up linux, and here I am. I'm customizing my account a bit more, and it starts feeling a little more comfortable. Yay linux. Or something.

  • 9:15 AM: I put on the extended version of the Lord of the Rings Part I. Go Tolkein.

  • 10:30 AM: My aunt was sick yesterday, so Mary and I were under the impression that all Thanksgiving plans were off and we were left to our own devices. But now my aunt calls and tells me that she's feeling better, and Thanksgiving is back on! Yay, Thanksgiving.

  • 10:32 AM: At the same time I am talking to my aunt, Mary calls. We touch base and both she and my aunt decide to shower, at which point Mary and I will meet up and we'll call the aunt again.

  • 11:00 AM: Mary is done showering and starts walking to my place, and Louie and I start walking to meet her halfway.

  • 11:12 AM: Here we are, about to "start the day". Yay holidays!

No comments: