Monday, October 27, 2003

Morbid thoughts:

Have you ever wondered how long it would take for you to be found, were you to slip in the bathroom, crack your head on the sink, and knock yourself unconscious? How long it would take for someone to miss you? Worse, if you disappeared and were not physically in your apartment where you could be found, how long then would it take for somebody to report you missing?

These days, I don't see any one person every single day. There's not even anyone that I talk to every day on the phone or online. Sure, if I went missing on a work day my employers might miss me, but they're not entirely on the ball anyway and I don't think they'd come looking for me for a while.

With Mary and Alex, these days, and our weekend routines, I think it might be a week or so for me. Sunday brunch would roll around and they'd be wondering and worrying and looking.

All things considered, I guess that's not so bad. Half the reason the Green River serial killer here and the Picktons up in Vancouver got away with what they did for so long was because they preyed on a population segment that wasn't quickly missed -- many of the girls were not reported missing until months or years after their disappearances, and some, never at all. A week is much better than that.

A week is an incredibly long time, though. If I'm bleeding, unconscious on the bathroom floor -- a week would be an enternity, and would possibly be far too long to ever bring me back.

No comments: