Thursday, December 18, 2003

Holy shit -- the craziest car accident happened outside my apartment tonight. If I had a camera, I would have taken a picture to post.

So, I live on an intersection: Summit Ave and Olive Street. Summit has the right of way; there are yield signs marking both directions on Olive. My building faces Summit. The second level of the building is "street level" on that side of the building. There is a drop between the sidewalk and the first floor of the building, with a walkway coming up to the front door over the divide. If you can't picture that, think medieval times; there's an area between the building and the sidewalk which would make a great moat, only it's not filled with water and there are no sea monsters.

So anyhow, apparently this taxi cab comes careening down Olive and hits an Audi. The Audi goes flying through the railings which line the sidewalk side of the divide, and down into the divide. I'm not quite sure how it happened, because it barely fit. It was on its side, down in the hole, about as snug as a piece of bread in a toaster. It was such a mess that I didn't know how anyone could have come out okay, but noone was hurt. The guy in the Audi found himself hanging upside down in his car and pulled himself out. When I got home he was standing there taking pictures of the battered car and of an elaborate process for pulling the car out, involving many steel lines and many tow trucks.

I watched until they had pulled the car out and managed to tip it back right-side-up on the street, and now here I am. What a night.

No comments: