Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Merciful Jury Spares Evil Malvo From Death, reads one of the current headlines from the New York Post. The article itself is worse.

"Evil Malvo"? Granted, he did terrible, terrible things, but what is up with the prejudicial way in which the media phrases things these days? I've had enough of "reign of terror", "axis of evil", "enemy combatants", "war of liberation", "war on terror", and over-use and application of terms such as terror and evil in general, whether applied to Malvo, Iraq, or anything else. That sort of language seems to be thrown about with wild abandon. I can read about the sniper shootings and about Malvo's trial and determine for myself that he did horrible things; I don't need for it to be spoon-fed to me. This isn't news -- it is sensationalistic propaganda.

Brian Eno posted a column along some of the same lines in the Guardian a while back. Decent reading.

No comments: