Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Tonight, I took my family to Rom Mai Thai on Broadway. We ordered a number of dishes I had never tried, as well as the favorite standards; Chicken Satay, Beef Panang, and Swimming Tofu. They were all delightful! The staff, as always, was incredibly warm and friendly. I felt warm, happy, content -- strongly connected again, for a moment, to a family that has been slipping away over the years.

...

Last week, I picked up a disposable camera so that I could take pictures while my family was here. I keep forgetting to bring it along. I find myself constantly bemoaning that oversight, as the last several days have been some of the best in memory. So many moments to treasure. Without photographs I am left to rely on memory alone, and my memory is not to be trusted.

I guess that's not quite true; I'm left also with short journal entries like this one. So, to myself, when I read this again some day -- remember the goodness of this Christmas vacation. Don't get stuck on the petty disappointments and the "could have been's"; instead keep in your mind all the good times that you've had with people you care about. Apples to Apples at Karen's house, with mommy, daddy, Mary, Susie, Karen, Andy, and both the Alex's. Lord of the Rings as a big happy group. Hours spent wandering around in the craft store; mommy, Alex, Mary, Susie and I all equally enchanted. The rack of stuffed Audubon birds that delighted even my father. The first day, eating at IHOP after Mary and I picked everybody up from the airport; okay food, but wonderful company, the five of us all reunited for the first time since last year. Eating, laughing, exchanging jokes and affectionate insults, enjoying the proximity of each other. Making soap with mommy, Mary, and Susie -- watching Mary become enthralled with the process, simple joy evident on her face. Louie getting into the soap I made for Karen, trying to eat each piece, only to decide it didn't taste as good as it smelled and moving on to try eating the next. Movies at Karen's house; snuggled in all cozy with one another, watching the extend version of Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Finding Nemo. My parents, my sisters, and I all squishing into the car along with my dog, both the first day on the way from the airport, and today on the way to and from the ferry.

These are the things that I hope I remember. Every day this week has been Christmas to me, filled with so many people I love and with such good spirit. My only regret is that I could not share it with everybody I love, that some people I would have here have not been.

...

No comments: