Friday, January 09, 2004

I finished reading The Third Life of Grange Copeland tonight. It really touches on the human experience, on strong human emotion.

Do not expect to read this book and feel uplifted. I want, always, to believe the best of people. To look for redeeming qualities. To practice forgiveness above all things. This book challenges those notions. Can all acts be redeemed? Are some people beyond redemption? Can forgiveness be a downfall?

The book toys with the idea of degradation. It explores the depths to which people can bring one another down. Strong ideas, but difficult. It also explores the notions of worlds at war, of power inequities, part of a world dominating over the rest. It questions whether good can ever come of that.

Good book. Didn't always make me comfortable, but it made me think. Made me question myself. Worth reading, if you get a chance.

No comments: