Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Seattle Blizzard! My first!

I drove to work today. Sadly, I lost control of my car not even a block from my house. I was heading down the Olive St. hill to turn onto Bellevue, traveling at about 5 miles an hour and dutifully pumping my breaks, but I slid out anyway, into the middle of the intersection. I was lucky that nobody was approaching in the near lane, and the guy in the far lane was able to stop in time.

The rest of the drive was without incident. I don't think I ever drove more than 30 mph, and even that felt pretty fast much of the time. My average speed for the entire trip was probably 15 mph.

"Blizzard 2004" was the topic of conversation on the radio. KEXP was running a snow theme with all their songs this morning. It made me smile. The drive was enjoyable, at least, if long and tedious.

Anyhow, now I'm here, and I'm here safely.

The lot is pretty empty today. Not everyone is dumb enough to come in. I'm sure many of the folks taking the day off are salaried, though, so they can afford a day off better than I can. I'd take it off too, except that I'm freaking out about being able to pay for my upcoming wisdom tooth extractions and cannot afford another docked paycheck.

On the bright side, I actually got to park my car underground today. I think I might just leave it there tonight and bus home; it's a nicer spot in a snowstorm than my alleyway parking back at the apartment building.

Yay snow.

If we got a real, solid blizzard like this every year, I would be completely content in Seattle, I think. Driving is a mess, it's cold as hell, and even just stepping out to walk my dog is a pain in the butt right now, but I feel at home and I am happy.

No comments: