Tuesday, December 30, 2003

As I was heading out to walk my dog this morning, I heard a voice cursing in the hallway. "Bitch!" When I exited my apartment, I was surprised to see, of all people, my landlord --- a usually courteous and pleasant man. He was standing at a resident's door down the hallway from mine looking rather peevish. His demeanor changed, however, upon seeing my dog and me.

"Hi Louie," he called brightly. "Hi, Kathryn. How are you?"

"Good. And yourself?"

"Good."

Louie and I walked on. As we were about to exit the front door of the building, I heard him cursing again. "Goddamnit," he muttered, "who does she think she is?"

Did he think I couldn't hear him? It's strange how people act one way when they perceive themselves to be alone but act another when in the company of others.

I wonder what was up with him, what had happened to make him so irate.

No comments: