Friday, January 02, 2004

Mary, the two Alex's, and I went to the Family Pancake House in Redmond today. At the pancake house, I had the best potato pancakes I've had yet in Seattle, with freshly made apple compote. Yum! Afterwards we headed around the block to the dog park.

The dog park was awesome. Today has been a perfect winter day!

There's still a dusting of snow covering the ground in Redmond. Every here and there are bits of ice on the walk, which crackle as you step on them. The snow crunches underfoot. It's cool, but not chilly, and a dry, crisp, clean sort of cold -- not the wet, heavy cold that typifies most Seattle winter days. The sun is out, reflecting off the snow. Everything seems so bright and perfect!

At the park, the light permeated my body and my psyche and I was happy. No reason other than the sunlight, the chill of the cool wafting up from the snow and caressing my cheeks, and the crunch of snow underfoot. And my dog added to the feeling, perhaps -- bounding here and there, an ecstatic ball of happy energy. I don't remember a winter day like this in Seattle for all the time I've been here; it felt as if this might have been the first snowfall in Minnesota. I felt so at home.

No comments: